• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Charles Bartler

I have a 5 year old Maytag Gas Dryer. Before it stop running we would hear a wining noise, now that it has stopped running and I push the start button I just get a humming sound. I think the pully motor has gone bad. The applicance store I purchased it from states 5 years is all I can expect from todays washers and dryers and buy a new set. By the way the washer is now 11 years old. So do think the pully motor is the problem and should I bother to fix it or replace.

LJ in TX

if you are lucky ,,,the humming sound is the motor spinning but the belt is broken so the dryer tub will not turn. to verify that it is just the belt that is broken…pull the unit from the wall, unplug the power cord…try and pull the back access cover off the dryer (may have to disconnect the gas line too ,,if so shutoff the supply valve. then with a flashlight check the belt condition….if broken go to Sears parts or any good appliance parts house and get a replacement belt should be straight forward to reinstall–the belt goes around the whole drum nad of course the motor pulley.. typical washer and dryers should last ten or more years. good luck and post back with what you found was the problem. LJ

Jason

Greetings Charles,

Could be the belt but, it kind of sounds like the motor is stuck.

Easy repair in either case.

I would drop the appliance store like a rock. But, I would tell the owner, (very nicely), so they will know that you won’t be shopping there and that you will not be recomending them to anyone.

The biggest mistake people make is not saying anything to the owner. The owner can’t change thier ways if they don’t know.

Who knows, maybe the store will offer to fix it for free in order to keep you as a customer and a reference. (I would)

Good luck and Happy New Year,

Jason

John

The hummming is most likely caused by the motor.Its frozen or one of the pulley wheels is frozen. Either way, 11 years is a pretty good service life-If you look at the new units and the cost of motor replacement and the age of your old unit, its easy to see that putting money into a unit that may have other parts ready to go, is a waste of money!

Alex Hull

Our 2 year old gas dryer doesn’t put out very much heat anymore, at best it just warms up the damp clothes. I don’t want to call a repair man unless I have to, and I was ust wondering if there might be any clogs or obstructions blocking the air flow.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.