• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Prentes Tramble

I have a problem with my furnace. It’s an 80% efficiency model manufactured by Philco and it’s noisy. The burner makes an audible noise whenever it lights. But, the really bad part is when the blower comes on. It’s pretty noisy and I get a hollow, echoing sound from the returns. Also, there’s a 4”X 8” box on the corner of the furnace that’s completely uncovered. It draws air but there’s no filter covering this area. I should tell you that this is a new home. I’ve spoken with the contractor who in turn says he’s spoken with the furnace installer who tells him that it’s common practice to install furnaces this way. I’ve never seen a furnace that draws air without filtration. My question is can these problems be fixed without tearing out and replacing the entire system?

margaret

Request for help. I have an older home with a gravity furnace. All the other ducts have heat going thru except for the living room one. I found the key-type lever on that duct near the top of the furnace and noted that the lever turns over 360 degree and have tried leaving the lever at different angles, such as horizontal, then vertical, but still that duct is not heating up beyond the base. Question: how do I determine what position to leave the lever…or why is there no heat going thru the duct? Thank you.

jim j

in most states it is a code violation to collect all of the return air from the basement. is this a spec home? call your gas supplier and have them do an inspection. if it is not up to code, they will tag it. or call a building inspector. a new furnace should not be making strange noises. good luck.

Larry Marigold

I have a Gaffers & Stattler gas forced air furnace that is about 25 years old. The pilot light stays on, but the burners will not light on a regular basis. I tried taking a small wire brush to the flame sensor probe, and that did not seem to help. I noticed the red wire from the thermostat going to the gas control valve was loose. I put a new connector on it and the burners did light. The the next time I turned the thermosat all the way up, they would not light. Then after turning the thermostat to the min. position hours later I turned it to the max and after a5 minutes or so it lit the burners. Now it is again not responding ??

IRA MATTINGLY

OUR PHILCO FURNACE 80+. 100,000 BTU. AFTER THE SAFETY FAN RUNS AND THE IGNITER COMES ON THE FURNACE WILL FIRE AND THEN SHUT DOWN. IT DOESN’T DO IT ALL THE TIME BUT QUITE OFTEN. WE HAVE HAD IT WORKED ON BUT THEY CAN’T SEEM TO FIX IT.COULD USE SOME HELP TRYING TO SOLVE THIS PROMBLEM.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.