Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      cromintexas
      Participant

I have a pier and beam house. The floor moves down in winter and doors over one beam won’t close. In the summer its lifts back up. The piers are set on white rock about 6 ft below the surface. The movement appears to be about 3/8″-1/2. No problems with foundation or exterior brick wall. I plan to jack the beam up about 1/4 in and shim at each pier. Will it be ok to jack the beam up the full 1/4 inch at one time or do I need to lift the beam a small amount and let it set for a few days, before lifting the beam further? I will apreciate any comments.

Thanks, CLC

Unregistered-t.b.

You always give it a partial turn, wait a week and crank again. You have nothing to lose by going slowly and cracks in the plaster/drywall if you don’t. In fact if you’ve done it enough you will feel the floor “give” a little and then resist – that’s when you stop and wait a week.

Unregistered-HarryC

I dont follow the logic of the repair. This winter you will shim the beam so your doors work. What happens in the summer when the beam is pushed back up? Do you take the shim out?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.