• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug Lemmons

I am finishing my basement and I would like to take down the wall next to my stairs to open the area.The wall runs 2″ parrallel to a floor joist and really only supports the 3′ X 3′ landing of the stairs above it. I am planning on running a second joist above the wall and anchoring the 3′ X 3′ floors’ joists to that using hangers. Will the new joist, combined with the joist 2″ away be enough to allow taking the wall down? Also, the span for the joists is 14′ and they are 9.5′ TGI joists.

jb

When in doubt it is always safest to assume you are dealing with a bearing wall in these situations. From your description it really isn’t possible to positively know if what you are describing is adequate. From what I can sort of tell, what you are planning doesn’t sound too kosher. I can’t see it from here though… Is there a wall directly above this wall on the first and/or second floor/attic? This usually means it is bearing. For the floor to carry the full load of having a stairwell opening you typically need to have a double joist on either side of the opening and a double header carrying the adjacent floor joists. With TGI’s this usually involves special hangers and maybe special blocking too. You should really have someone qualified look at it.

RAY MCGUIRE

WHAT IS THE SPAN ON A 14″ TGI FRAMED 12″

ON CENTER

Dennis S. Adams

How far apart should my support post be on my center floor joist beam? It is made of 3 2X10s nailed and glued togather. Thanks

John Mall

I need to span a length of 43 feet is there a way to do it without support going down the center?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.