• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      louis twillman

looks like a fist, not all the way thru, is there a way to repair w/o replacing door? thanks

Henry in MI

You can repair a wood door about the same way that you repair a hole in drywall except using an epoxy like Bondo or Minwax High Performance Wood Filler. That said, and since you will have to refinish the old door because of the hole, my feeling is that you are about as well off to replace the door. You can get a door only, without the casing, pretty cheaply at a home center. Then you just have to copy hinge and door handle locations and holes onto the new door and refinish. It will be difficult to refinish the old door because of blending the hole repair into the rest of the door but you do not have this to consider with a new door.

Henry in MI

tom

You can spend about $6 on powdered wood filler and some coloring. I can’t remember the name right now but I’ll post it tomorrow. You mix it up with some of the pigment. Put newspaper in the hollow door, put the putty/water/pigment mixture in it. If it’s too light, water color markers actually work to darken it, or even a heat gun. when it looks right and is dry just spray a gloss coat over the door. I did this about 4 weeks ago when I fell backwards with a vacuum cleaner and put a big hole in one side.

dp

these doors are 22 dollars and for the time investment is same for repair or to replace, so just repalce it

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.