• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      mike

Im finishing my basement and want to install a corner gas fireplace. the house is brick exterior and the fireplace would be located on the rear corner of the house. Any recommendations on fireplace to install, direct vent, vent free, etc.? I may also want the option to burn wood as well. Can you vent a wood burning/gas combo unit out through the brick without a chimney stack? Any good websites with this kind of info?

thanks.

Dodgeman

Whatever you do, don’t install a vent free fireplace. The buildup of humidity is something you don’t want. I have two different friends that tried them and ended up taking them out after one season.

Good Luck!

Dodgeman

tomh

Any wood burning fireplace or wood stove, including multi-fuel appliances, will require a 6-inch diameter stainless stove pipe and must be triple wall if it penetrates combustible surfaces or is enclosed in a chase. Your local building department will have specific requirements (code) for such an installation. You should check local code and obtain required permits prior to making a decision and designing the ventilation system.

Solid fuel stoves and fireplaces must have the chimney rise above the roof level to prevent down-drafts and prevent smoke from entering the house. Assuming you will buy a new fireplace or stove, the company selling the appliance usually is aware of code requirements and can help design the flue. If not, then I would suggest looking at a vendor with that expertise to guide you.

Patty Ellert

how thrifty are you

have a large fireplace with opening on both sides no matter what i do it smokes me my daugther and 4 granddaugthers out

second thing have a log house roof is made of 3×5 leaked around chimmney would is powder how do i fix mane beams are logs every 6 feet want to try and keep house with look could be interesting project for tv

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.