• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Terry M

We bought a new home about 8 months ago that has 2 fireplaces. The basement has a gas log fireplace the the living room has a woodburning fireplace (which we are not currently using). After the first few uses of the gas log fireplace in the basement, we found out that the flue wasn’t opened and consequently the white bricks inside the upstairs fireplace have black soot on them. I wanted to find out if there was a way of cleaning it myself with a cleaner on the market or a mixture of common household items to make a cleaner.

Henry in MI

Hi, Terry. Your best bet is a cleaner called Simple Green. It is sometimes hard to find but works great.

But please don’t start mixing cleaners. There are some chemicals in some products that can release toxic gasses. If any manufacturer really thought that another combination would work better than anything else on the market and still be safe, it would already be on the market.

Henry in MI

Carla Thorpe

We moved into a home built in the sixtys. The livingroom is graced by a huge moss rock fire- place that needs cleaned and resealed. How do I clean it?

Donna Harbaugh

My husband was cleaning our furnance and had the filter on the vacum. Black soot (from a oil furnance) went all over my walls in the living room and hallway. I have used bleach, dawn dish liquid and something I bought that says it removes soot. And all it did was smear it. My walls look bad, is there anything out there that I can use to wash my walls white again.

Brandon S.

My basset hound puppy grabbed a cool burnt log from the fire place and drug it around the house. What would be the best way of getting that out without smearing and making it worse?

sarah

i was wondering if there was a way to clean the black soot off that is inside my fireplace

it is wood burning and off white brick insidethis is where the soot is

sarah

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.