• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kris

Hi- I would like to get rid of the layer of brick right in front of my fireplace, and install marble tiles…..I’d like it to be even with the floor (or as close as possible). So my question is what is the best way to remove the brick?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

tomh

I have had good success removing brick with an air chisle. Its a small handheld accessory that cost about $30 but you will need an air compressor. Basically a mini-jackhammer, it allows brick to be removed at the mortar joints or splits bricks fairly cleanly, and will clean up the thinset or mortar bedding. Don’t know what you will find under the brick on your fireplace, so be prepared to do more than you planned.

Reed

Another way, which I just did, is to simply use a masonary bit and drill a series of holes into the mortar surrounding a single brick, you can start in the middle. Then use a brick chisel and a 4 lb mini sledge hammer (has a short handle) and break the mortar up. Then simply hit the brick with the sledge and it will easily break. Then remove the pieces. Once you have one out, the others will break easy with the hammer. The bricks are brittle so wear goggles!

Reed

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.