• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      JamesZ

Has anyone ever heard of puting fiber cement backerboard down on a subfloor with mastic or a thin set and then sealing/waxing the floor like a cement floor? Obviously, the seams would need to be caucked or grouted. (I have noticed that a specific fiber/cement flooring is now on the market at about 20 times the cost of fiber-cement backerboard.)

tomh

Take a look at the products and Im sure you will agree this is not finished flooring. All are printed with nail schedules and branding. Most have a paper or other surface that contains the cement backer, or are textured to enhance adhesion. None that I know of could be finished to conceal the seams, nor could you polish the surface. Nice idea, but not the intended nor feasible use.

dp

i seen it on one of them home reality shows with the chick that hangs loose in the shirt

looked like crap when they were finished and the homeowner wretched when it was viewed

also i thinks they gonna crack after some extnded foot trafic of a few months. its a very rigid material, where houses, floors & walls are always moving, flexing under foot

and seasonal changes will open the seams

go ahead and try if you want, but when it comes time to replace because the bad idea has crumbled and seams have split, they mastic is going to make it a nightmare to remove

perhaps a underlament of 1/4″ AC ply, nailed to existing subfloor with 1 1/4 ringed shank flooring nails(30 per sheet) would make removal a little neater , as you just pull the 1/4 ply up and your original subfloor is nice and clean

dp

colorfreak

If you want a concrete looking floor place felt paper over the plywood then staple metal lath over and stapel the hell out of it then apply polymer concrete resurfacing material over. This is not really a job for a diyer but there are pro’s around that can accomplish this …

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.