Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      chadfetter
      Participant

I am in the process of finishing my basement, and am considering adding some electric floor heat. If I were to do it, I would be adding the electric floor mats under some areas that would have Tile. But, the majority of the room(s) will be carpet.

Is it safe? Effective? Would I feel the electric pads under the carpet pad while walking on the carpet?

Unregistered-lg

“I am in the process of finishing my basement, and am considering adding some electric floor heat.”

what happens when the basement floods?

HKestenholz
      Participant

As you are planning to have it beneath tile, you are probably planning to put the electric elements in a layer of gypcrete or cement in the manner the manufacturer recommends, so the heat would be spread in the whole area under the tile and the carpet. The carpet acts as slight insulation, about R1, so there would be less expected heat transferred to feel on top.

It’s a good idea to have a separate thermostat to sense the tile temperature and another one to regulate the heaters under the carpet, as they transfer heat differently.

As the electric heaters would be embedded, it would have less probability of a problem than if electric baseboard on the walls was submerged.

http://www.HeatProUS.com energy businessmen’s knowledge

Yes, you really have to find out the MAKE and MODEL to get good answers. There IS more than one machine made.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.