• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom from Wisc.

Senario — An older house, we tore down the paneling from the living-room walls. There is 1X4 sheets of drywall nailed to the wall studs…..yes 1X4 pieces. I didn’t know they came that small.

Anyhow, I don’t feel like taping all those seams, And the old drywall is kind of rough looking with the glue that was between it and the paneling. So I was going to put up 4X8 sheets of new drywall over the top of the old. or do I just rip the old drywall down too? and replace it?? should the drywall go on vertically or horizontally?? I suppose to make it work where the outlet boxes are, I should put new up and tear out the old……Thx in advance.

John McElwee

The two problems you have with going over existing drywall are the electrical boxes as you mentioned and mouldings and casings if there are any. On the other hand it probabaly isn’t that hard to remove what you have except I think there are more nails than normal.

Run the drywall horizontally.

tom

I would tear it down and re-rock it, the results will look alot nicer and it’s a job you can take your time on (as long as the wife doesn’t complain to high heaven).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.