Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      bobsbuddy
      Participant

I had to rewire a new cord onto an old electric dryer (early 70’s model Kenmore-Whirlpool) to move from a 4-prong connector to a 3-prong connector at the new place.

The old wiring went onto the three lugs as follows:
      Red – white – black. The ground(green) wire from the cord went to the frame. There was a green wire from the neutral (white) lug that looped back onto itself. That is, it came out of the white terminal and simply looped back onto the white lug.

I wired the new cord in the same red-white-black sequence. Then I took the green wire and placed it onto the frame external ground screw. It seemed odd to have neutral and ground on the same terminal, but that appears to be the original wiring. The wiring diagram on the back panel was of no help, indicating only switches and other components.

Did I do this right, or should I remove all external ground wires and loop it back like it was when I found it?

thiggy
      Participant
      doug seibert
      Participant

You’re Good to Go………

You might verify this is still wired from the MAIN panel……sometimes service changes convert some panels to SUB-panels……then the 3-wire feed would need to be changed……..

“…measure once…..cut twice….throw that one away and cut a new one….”

DanO
      Participant

** I wired the new cord in the same red-white-black sequence. Then I took the green wire and placed it onto the frame external ground screw. It seemed odd to have neutral and ground on the same terminal, but that appears to be the original wiring. **

The ground strap should be removed from the terminal block (see the following link) when installing a 4-wire cord.

– Changing a Dryer Cord
      LINK > http://www.the-appliance-clinic.com/change-dryer-cord-3-to-4.html

JFYI

Dan O.
      http://www.Appliance411.com/parts/?ref411=Kenmore+Dryer
      The Appliance Information Site
      =D~~~~~~

bobsbuddy
      Participant

The photos linked to by Thiggy were exactly the before & after situation. DanO’s photos were likewise understandable enough to confirm correct wiring.

This dryer has been handed down to a couple of daughters in different apartments. I’m pretty sure the next to last one had to convert 3 to 4 and I needed to make sure it was done correctly.

ojones
      Participant

The other night I attempted to dry a load of laundry before bed time. I laid down while it dried and fell asleep with the finish alarm set. to my surprise I awoke the next morning to discover the dryer still running and the laundry still damp. Since that time I’ve discovered that the dryer won;t shut off nor will the dryer get hot. IO had the dryer’s heating element checked and discovered that it is still intact and has full continuity. Will you help solve my problem? arc-less in Ark-ansas!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.