Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Drilling holes in basement floor joists…Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt

Hello,

I am currently finishing my basement. I am in the process of running the wiring. There isn’t enough room in the existing run through the floor joist to run anymore wire. The existing hole is 2 inches in a outer 3rd of the joist. I need to drill another run. How close can I drill another hole to the existing one? It works out the best if I can stay near the existing hole but I don’t want to get too close or make a mistake.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

Daniel E. Fall

I’d recommend cutting holes smaller than 2″ if possible, and as long as you leave a few inches, you’ll be fine. If you need to do another 2″ hole, leave about 4″ at least. The main thing you never want to do with a joist is notch it on the bottom (or cut a hole in it at the bottom).

Dodgeman

Drill the new holes just above the middle of the joist. You indicated “in a outer 3rd of the joist.” If this means the lower 1/3 of the joist, you would be better off placing the next hoel over at least 4 inches as Daniel indicated, but also in the upper 1/2 of the joist.

Two inch holes for wiring does seem big.

Good Luck!

Dodgeman

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.