• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      James

I have a septic system and my drain field was clogged. I have dug it all up, and removed all the stone. Does anyone have any links to any sites that give specs on drain fields. Also what is the straw used for, and where does it go.

bc

That is a big, tough, and almost impossible job to fix. You need some help from the pros in your area who install septic tanks and fields. Did you have a stone tank that failed or did the entire drainage field fail? I’m not sure what all the dug up stone was used for. Good luck.

Dodgeman

to move the field to another location? Alongside of the current field? Many locals require a secondary site when the first site is approved. The problem is that the gravel doesn’t get plugged up, it is the soil that gets plugged. The straw is used over the gravel before the topsoil is put back in place to keep the siol fines from washing down into the stone and plugging it up. Many installers use red rosin paper instead of straw.
      Check website http://www.infiltratorsystems.com for further information.
      Also, remember your tank should be pumped out every 2 to 3 years to keep your field from plugging up.
      Good Luck!
      Dodgeman

Rick Carter

What is the best chemicals to open a clogged septic drain field. Also, can a “roto rooter” type machine be used on a PVC drain line? Help!

frank garzino

Roots in all pipes, what can clear pipes? Ran new pipe, but water bubbles up to surface and flows down mound. ?????? help!

Peter S

I have septic at my house. I have a poplar that is toying with the drainage of my drain field. I say toying because everthing is draining yet there is a smell at times of sewer. The drain feild is within feet of the drain field, Appox 12 to 15 ft away. My intentions are to destroy the massive tree. My question is do I have to install a new drain field if I get rid of the tree and what tx can do to the drainfield while the massive tree is still alive? The smell seems to be worst during summer or warmer months rather than winter. Is this because the tree is dormant in the winter months and this would be the oppertune time to rid the massive poplar? I do live in the Seattle area and it does rain more in the winter. This leds me to belive that the root system is within the drain field however it still drains with the added rain in the winter months. So my next question is when the tree is gone and if I do not need a new drain field is there a way to improve the drainage by destroying the roots that seem to have infested the drain field already, and therby improving drainage?

james harcourt

i have a palm tree growing very close to my drain field, i belive the roots are starting to plug by drain lines, what can be done to elimate the roots, i have since taken the tree down

Nick

Is it wise put an above ground pool over a drain field?

derek cale

Our house was begining to smell of sewage. I went to the basement to discover that there was a puddle on the floor. I looked for where it was coming from and found that it was leaking in from around the outside of the drain pipe leaving the 50 year old house. I’ve searched the net to find answers on drain field problems and came up empty. I don’t know if the whole system failed or if there is a clog or broken pipe or if it’s because of the ice rink and frost causing over saturated soil. For now all i’m doing is digging down on the outside and taring around the pipe.Have you any suggestions? I’ll let you know what i find.

david valiant

Hi,

I’m looking at buying a house that passed it’s inspection with flying colors. As I was getting ready to leave one of the neighbors came over and we got to talking. He said his biggest concern was that the current owners have been parking and driving a number of vehicles in and over the backyard (and the drainfield). I don’t know what the composition of the drainfield is. Should this be cause for concern?

thanks,

dave

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.