• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Gerry Anderson

I have a 30 year old raised bugalow, all plastered walls and finished completly inside.Our door bell is located on the upper level & we spend most of our time in the family room downstairs ( closed with french doors )therefore we cannot hear the bell & rely on the dog to hear it.[ retired hearing must be getting bad ]
      is there an method of finding the transformer,it is not by the electrical panal, the wires from the back & front door go up the interior wall to the bell and there are wires going down from that bell to WHEREVER, is there some kind of sonding device that you could attach to the wires to find it .
      HELP and thank you in advance.

Jay J -Moderator

Hi Gerry,

I’m no expert but I think I have some ideas.

Usually, the Transformer for the Door Bell is ‘in line’ with the button. Start by removing the button to see if you can tell if the wires go DOWN or up. If they go up, you might want to look in the attic for the transformer. If they go DOWN (which is most likely the case), you have to go down the basement and line yourself up with where the button is outside. Once you’ve guestimated that ‘location’, there’s a good chance the transformer is up in the finished ceiling in the basement. Look for an access panel or a way that you can look BETWEEN the joists that are in line w/the button.

Hopefully, you can access it. If you can’t, I suggest you buy a completely new system that’s wireless. It’s probably less ‘trouble’ to install than it is to rip open the ceiling, do what you have to do, and then put it back as it was. BUT, BEFORE you leave the store, tell the Retailer that you’re most ‘concerned’ that the system will work in the basement as WELL AS upstairs. In the case the system DOESN’T work well in the basement, you want to be able to return it W/O a restocking fee.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: My transformer is about 8′ from the basement wall IN LINE with the button on the front of the house. It’s mounted on the floor joist under the sub-floor …

Steve:

that requires no wiring and only batteries. this is the best thing invented since sliced bread. No running wiring and you can install front and back buttons that chime differently so you will know the front from the back and you can install a seperate button for an upstairs chime system.

Home centers carry these gadgets and they sell for about $50. Check it out, it will solve you situation.

KUNJA PATEL

Hi Bob,

we hava a outside door bell and that door bell is electric and since two three days it’s not working

and my husband tring so hard, somebody said may be your transimition is not working, but we didnot find the transmition. So how we could fix it? Please advise us.

Thank you!

Kunja Patel

Ed Forbis

I just purchased a home and the door bell doesn’t work it is electric, however I don’t know how to fix it please help.

Gale J.

I have an antique victorian door bell that doesn’t work. When you turn the key it squeaks. I assume it has a spring mechanism that may be broke. Any idea on how to repair?

Rebecca Farell

I have a New Britain/Corbin Bell door bell on my Victorian home. It appears that all the parts are there however it just does not work. It appears that either the outside lever does not catch the striking arm or that the catch is loose. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

paul

When one of the electric door bell is rung for the upper flat, the lower flat rings also. I have changed the transformer but annoying problem still exist. Can anyone help me out there with this problem?

Greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

paul

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.