Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      fg4444
      Participant

If I were to build a post and beam shed with a dirt floor to save a few dollars on a cement slab, should I dig down an inch, put down plastic or some other vapor barrier, then put sand/dirt combination back down?

We wish to store items in cardboard boxes and we also will have wood out there. Over time moisture could damage these items.

Would I be better to put a sheet of plastic over the dirt, then put 2×4’s laying flat in a grid, followed by 3/4 plywood flooring. It would technically be a floating floor but would keep moisture out except at the edges. The floor would be built in place after the shed is completed.

Thanks for any opinions on this.

Jasper
      Participant

Storing in Cardboard boxes is not a good thing if moisture can get to the boxes. I’d build a wooden deck then build the shed. I’d build it on concrete blocks to keep it off of the ground, which is what I’ve done, an 8 by 10 foot shed.
      Adios… Jasper

Jasper Castillo

Unregistered-robs

If you’re concerned about moisture getting to the boxes, why not get some pallets from a local supermarket (they throw them away all the time) or other local business and store your boxes on the pallets so there’s no dirrect contact w/ soil?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.