• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jesse

I live in St. Louis and last summer I put thompsons deck sealer/stain on my deck and this year it already looks horrible. My question’s are what is a good stain/sealer, do I now have to try to strip the old stain/sealer before reapplying another brand. I cleaned the deck with bleach but I still am lost as to what brand to try again. There seems to be so many different kinds thompsons, olympic, behr, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      JT

andi

might check with consumers reports. i heard cfw and a few of the others have come out with some really nice products. i`ve been told to stay away from bleachs and seem to remember that some products can`t be used after bleaching. i`d find the best indipendent paint store around and by the best prouduct they reccomend. don`t skimp on the bucks. my local paint supplier doesn`t have a gurrantee. when i have a problem they come out and take care of it. good luck.

Steve

Thompson’s will only last a few months if that.

When I build decks, I always recommend CWF-UV or any of the deck sealers and stains put out by the Wolman Company.

I use CWF-UV almost all the time. It comes in clear and all colors. You do have to apply it with a brush or roller. the stuff that is applied with a deck sprayer is just not thick enough and does not penetrate enough for good results.

Now, even with CWF-UV, I do apply a fresh coat each Spring and it stays nice all year. Keep in mind that there is nothing that will be a once in a life time product. I have found that each year it requires less and less of the product and its a accumulative thing.

In the Deck and Arbor Trade, Thompson’s is noted for the biggest advertising and marketing budget, but the lowest R&D budget. Meaning, everyone thinks this is the product to use by the ads, but as you have found out, it is indeed not.

Good Luck

Rick

I’ve had good luck with Penofin. Unlike Thompsons – a parifin (wax) in a solvent, Penofin is a penetrating oil. Consumer’s Report also ranked Behr+(something)as excellent. I typically use a deck cleaner prior to staining, be it the first time on a new deck or when re-finishing. I typically use 2 coats and it lasts about 2 to sometimes 3 years.

My deck gets hit with the sprinklers all the time and its in partial sun. If yours is mostly in sun, face it, you’ll have to re-stain more often.

Unregistered-SuperDave

Well, that’s a dream. What I used was, per consumer reports studies which were pretty well reported, Behr Plus 10 Deck and Siding Stain – Semi Transparent [1-704] Redwood.

I live in Washington, DC..hot muggy summers with damp conditions, insects that eat anything that’s not made of steel, and a unexplainable condition that put this area closer to the sun than anywhere else on the planet for 10 to 30 days out of the year (mars like conditions).

The stain is now…5 years old and I’m about to restain..starting today (8-26-05), I’m going to use a stripper today and wait at least 3 days until I have a 3 day period where there will be no rain. I’ve changed my deck considerably and have waited 3 weeks for the new PT-deck wood to dry out. I plan to use the same stuff again.

While putting this stuff down, I did notice that it will pool into low areas..this was a serious problem, as for 3 months after the application…there was a tackiness to those areas. But other than those areas, the deck held up fine.

I’ve used thompsons and cannot say that it worked any better than just spraying clear car wax on the deck.

there…I’m done.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.