Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Crown molding outside corner install to non-molding archway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Nikki

My husband and I are finishing our formal dining and living room with marley heirloom crown molding. The LR/DR has an archway to a small hall that goes into the kitchen, utility room and garage. We don’t want to continue the molding into the hallway. Unfortunately that leaves us with a difficult problem with how to end the crown molding at the arch’s corner (outside croner). None of the wood outside corner pieces seem to be big enough for this wide crown. Is there any easy answer to how to finish this without it looking stupid or unfinished?

Nikki

Scott

Carpenters cap or many other names I’ve herd used.

Hope I can explain this without a picture.

You need to cut an outside miter just at the end of where you want to stop the crown.Now cut the return piece of crown to length to just cover the miter and butt up against the wall. This will cap the end with a finished look.

Be careful,this is a small piece of trim and may break or shatter when cutting.I usually just glue this piece on.Luck

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.