• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 19 years ago by Unregistered-john.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Crapper Man

I have a 3.5 gpf wall-mounted commercial toilet with a “spud” flush valve (Chrome T-shaped valve like above urinals) that uses more water than I’d like. I was wondering if it is possible to just buy a new 1.6gpf spud valve and put it on the old toilet, thereby making it a 1.6gpf toilet. Would this work? If so, does someone make a special “retrofit” valve, or will any 1.6gpf spud valve work? Does anyone know where I can get a valve that will accomplish this?Thanks!

bravey
      Participant

The older toilets were designed to work with more water. If you simply reduce the water volume you may end up flushing 3 or 4 times to clean it out. That is what happened when the law first came out. Manufacturers sold the old toilets with modified controls that supplied 1.6 gpf. The darn things didn’t work and everyone began complaining about having to flush 2 or 3 times. Most newer toilets have been re-designed to function properly on less water. Be careful however, because some toilets work a whole lot better than others with 1.6 gpf.

Regards

Unregistered-john

never heard the term “spud valve” before, I think you mean flushometer. get one at any plumbing supply or hardware store with a good plumbing parts dept.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.