• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Gail

My home was built in 1893 and is all brick. Naturally, the walls were not insulated. It appears that the plaster was applied to the masonry on exterior walls. When it’s humid in the summer, the walls sweat and mold blooms. In the winter, cold air rolls down the exterior walls.

Are there any solutions that wouldn’t require tearing out all the woodwork, floors, etc.? I know that installing insulation and dry-wall would be a huge project. Are there any high-tech, thinner insulation solutions?

Thanks.

dp

i doubt there is plaster right on bricks> pull an outlet cover off and with a flashlight inspect around the box, you should be able to get a peek inside walls

do it to a few boxes, you see if there is room for spray in insulation behind your plaster

or call the spray in insulation man over for a consulation, they let you know

dp

M.Kaas

My house was built in the 1860’s and is the same way. As I have done rooms I have screwed lath strips to the wall and used styrofoam panels between the lath. Then I apply 3/8″ drywall. Unfortunately that requires building out the window and door trim along with any baseboard. It does make the walls warmer and they no longer flake and peel.

ts

If you don’t want to touch the inside how about putting vinyl siding, they automattically put tyvex (insulator) on the outside walls. My friend did this and the walls inside feel nice and cozy. It definitely mad a difference!

It is impossible to get insulation behind a plaster wall. You would have to get a insulation board and then apply drywall over that. If you do tear down the plaster walls have fun it is messy!! you may want to check out a hotel at that point.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.