• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom

Is it necessary to clean/wash a deck before staining?
      the deck is a few years old and has never been stained.
      it is a semi-transparent stain. Pros/cons?

Jay J

Tom,

No question – Clean the deck. Otherwise, what dust and dirt there is that’s been accumulating on the deck for ‘a few years’ will be what absorbes the stain; NOT the wood. There are ‘washing solutions’ you can use to clean it and there is the old Power Washing method.

I would go with as transparent a stain as you can. Some folks will argue (and argue they will) that a dark stain is fine. But from experience, if you don’t like the dark stain, it’s nearly impossible to remove! 2 years ago, we stained our pressure-treated deck with, well you guessed it, a dark stain. (Not to dig on my wife because she likes it but I DIDN’T pick it and I don’t like it.) You can see the ‘wear areas’ where people walk and such, you can see that it doesn’t cover uniformly, and I can’t think what else there is I don’t like about dark stain (at the moment.) AT least with the clear stain, because it’s clear, it’s more forgiving.

I suggest you visit your local Paint Retailer (found in the YELLOW PAGES under PAINT – RETAIL) for a high quality sealer. I’d stay away from the Home Depots and Lowes types-of-stores. You’ll get a good deal on stains and sealers and paints but you get what you pay for. For the extra $$$ you spend ‘elsewhere’, you’ll be pleased. Penofin, Olympic, CWF, Woleman’s, SHerwin-Williams ,to name a few are worth their money. See Consumer Reports (1999) for some related info. (Apparently, they’re doing more testing.)

Be SURE that the stain/sealer you use is appropriate for the type of deck you have. (You didn’t say …) My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: After this afternoon, I won’t be back until Monday morning but others will be around …

Cindy

We just installed a new deck. How long do we need to wait to stain, and what are the precautions we should take to preserve the new deck?

Is there anything we should do?

Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.