• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Glen in Texas

I just bought a lake lot and I’m looking for possible house plans. I was wanting to consider cinder block. Please suggest pros and cons of using cinder blocks for the principal material for a house. Also where plans or other information can be found.

Jay J

Glen,

I’m no expert on this subject but one thing DOES come to mind.

If you’re anywhere near Tornado Alley or the 10 year Hurricane Belt, I’d consider a block house, at least in some parts so 1) you can be safe, and 2) you can preserve most of the structure of the home, in either of these 2 areas. If you check with your insurance company (or one that does some insuring on the lake), check w/them on this. Maybe they can give you an idea of what $$$ it will cost/save you, one way or the other.

Since you’re on the lake, I’m gonna bet that you’re not allowed to have a basement. If you are, consider a poured foundation, and make sure it has sump-pump capability built into it. If at most you can have a crawlspace, do find out how high off the landscape you need to be for the 100 year flood. (Your insurance agent should be able to provide the info or point you to someone who knows.) I wouldn’t recommend block for this.

I’m sure others will post up (I hope). My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Angela Badlan

We just purchased 50 acres and want to build a smaller home (1200-1400 sq ft) as inexpensive, tasteful and safe as possible. We have looked at log cabin plans and have found them to be very expensive. I was curious about using concrete blocks and whether it would be cost effective.?? Additionally, would we still save money if we stucco over the blocks (inside and out) for appearance?? If so, are there any good plans and/or builders in the Northwest GA to accomplish this?

Thank you.

Angela Badlan

Sam Ferguson

My wife and I have bought beachfront retirement propserty on NW coast of the Phillipines on the South China Sea.

Cinder block house construction is the norm in the area. Does anyone know where to find books etc on plans or construction methods. I know very little about block/concrete building. I need help.

Sam

Sam Ferguson

My wife and I have bought beachfront retirement propserty on NW coast of the Phillipines on the South China Sea.

Cinder block house construction is the norm in the area. Does anyone know where to find books etc on plans or construction methods. I know very little about block/concrete building. I need help.

Sam

TAMMY

In regards to your question where to find books on building with cinder blocks;i hava few suggestions.Look on the internet under construction books and even specify say something like cinder block construction books.I bet you”ll find something.

cinderella

Iown a 600sq.ft house. I have been single for about five years and have been taking on a lot of projects, just this last year I have built an arbor put up a fence.That is not all I have been remodeling and gutting it for the past five years.One room had no insullation in it and I have done the tiling, knocking out walls basically tearing it down and building it back up. Anyways I am looking for the next challenge I need some extra space and I thought adding on to the house with cinder blocks would be the cheapest way to go and I thought about putting in a wood burning stove as a supplement. The gas prices are outrageous. Not bad for a 26 year old girl.So someone out there give me some direction.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.