Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Wet feet….

I have an issue with my brick chimney. The fireplace in the house has a wide brick front that runs from floor to ceiling through the roof and eventually narrowing down to a chimney. After periods of heavy rain, water begins to seep out of the brick on the facing inside the living area. I have had the chimney reflashed, I have patched and sealed any marginal mortar joints, I have a cap on the flue. Is it possible that water seeps through the bricks from the outside and works it’s way inside. A couple of years ago, I got on the roof and “painted’ the chimney with an old can of Thompsons Water Seal and for a year I had no problems. Now it appears to be seeping again. This makes me think the outside brick is soaking up water and passing it through. Does this diagnosis sound plausible? Any ideas for a more permanent solution?

HKestenholz
      Participant

It is very possible the water can soak through mortar when it is porous. Manufactured chimneys have a brick-look chimney surround that would keep the chimney dry.

Ask for TDH chimney housing kits at your local plumbing/heating/HVAC supplier.

http://www.heatpro.info heat/cool right-sizing

The Senate and House can not find a suitable health plan for the nation; they should open their own exclusive health plan booklet and start reading.

carlbrown
      Participant

What kind of cap do you have? You could always wrap it with a water barrier and stucco it!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.