Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Check with me before you try to do your own masonry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Craig -The Mad Bricky

As a career Union Mason,(Brick,block,stone,tile etc..)I have witnessed time and again the botched attempts at do it yourself repairs,over the years I have compiled many resources and tricks to easy and effective amateur masonry work,I will look in here periodically to advise and submit my own questions.Please visit me at the Mad Bricky! Its free,and its informative. http://members.techheadnet.com/ctalley/ -Craig

Bruce M

Hi Craig:

Nice web page…..I especially like the little tunes that play 🙂

I’m in the process of building a 30 foot long retaining wall with my neighbor, and we can’s seem to agree on whether to fill the 8″ cinderblock ‘holes’ with concrete and rebar or not. The footing is 16″ wide by 12″ deep, with four 1/2″ rebar rods imbedded. This footing supports a 4′ tall wall that has 8″ cinderblocks against the bank faced with standard red brick that matches the neighbor’s house. Each block is tied to the footing with the standard 6″ footing anchor. I have installed 1″ weep holes every 4 blocks. My neighbor thinks filling each hole is overkill. I think it is necessary for the long term structural strength of the wall.

What do you think?

Thanks much

Bruce M

Bill Terpening

I am the maintenance department at our local courthouse and the County Commissioners would like me to find a solution to an age-old problem and I haven’t got a clue as to what to do. The old limestone foundation walls in the basement flake off bits and pieces as well as dust and sometimes even chunks. The deterioration of the walls I believe is a result of poor water drainage away from building over the years. It seems that the water problem has been solved, but it has taken it’s toll on the walls. The tile floors are now refinished and I would like to keep them looking good. They have had some of the walls painted with some kind of (epoxy paint ?) but even those have flaked off pieces, paint and all. What can be done to keep this from happening ?

Bill Terpening

I am the maintenance department at our local courthouse and the County Commissioners would like me to find a solution to an age-old problem and I haven’t got a clue as to what to do. The old limestone foundation walls in the basement flake off bits and pieces as well as dust and sometimes even chunks. The deterioration of the walls I believe is a result of poor water drainage away from building over the years. It seems that the water problem has been solved, but it has taken it’s toll on the walls. The tile floors are now refinished and I would like to keep them looking good. They have had some of the walls painted with some kind of (epoxy paint ?) but even those have flaked off pieces, paint and all. What can be done to keep this from happening ?

Bill Terpening

Bill Terpening

B. tobler

I have collected and power washed limestone from an old stone wall to use for wall behind and a base to set our wood burner on. After power washing the stones, they have lost the colors that were beautiful when it was wet. Have I ruined the stone, or can I treat it to bring out the natural colors in the stone?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.