• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Dean Reed

I need tips here. My living room ceiling, first floor, is sagging within 6 inches of outer wall. I put a straight edge against the ceiling and I have a 1-1-1/4 inch sag within 6 inches of the wall and then some additional bowing within 4 feet of the wall. My plaster has not cracked. I do have the floor bowing upstairs in the bedroom in the same location. Am I going to have a disaster? I bought some decent bedroom furniture about 3 years ago (heavier than what was there) The wall hasn’t appeared to move. The ceiling is a plaster ceiling over drywall, not metal meshing…I hear about bowing of ceiling and have read about them, but that is usually in the middle of the room. What is happening? Did anyone experience this before….What kinda costs am I looking at? Is there a good article somewhere about second floor joist fixes.

Thanks in advance,

Dean

Unregistered-t.b.

The bowed floor upstairs leads to the possibility of a joist (or two) failure and that can be a disaster waiting to happen. If it were my house I would consider the plaster ceiling has failed and needs to come down anyway (in a controlled fashion) so I would pull it and then repair the joists as needed.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.