Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sshulse
      Participant

I have run my wiring from the fan to the switch. The switch turns off and on an outlet in the room. I bought a double switch, one to control the outlet and one to control the power to the fan. Right now, both switches operate the outlet and the fan is continuously powered. How can I hook this up so that one switch powers the outlet and the other switch sends power to the fan? Thanks.

Sauerkraut57
      Participant

You have the wiring hooked up incorrectly or are using a 3-way switch. This hook up requires to single throw switches. Follow this diagram:

Incoming power –> switch to plug -> plug
      (Black Wire) |
      +-> switch to fan -> fan

All the white wires should be tied together, as well as all the bare ground wires.

It sounds like you have it hook up as follows:

Incoming power —> fan
      (Black Wire) |
      |
      +-> switch to plug –> plug
      |
      +-> switch to fan –> plug

ceilingfanrepair
      Participant

Let me get this straight: Right now your room has two switches, both controlling the same outlet in a three way fashion. You wish to replace one of these switches with a dual switch giving you a total of 3 switches. Yes?

First of all, make sure the dual switch you bought has a 3-way option.

Second of all, determine if the ceiling fan is being fed from the same junction box as the switches or outlets. You will somehow need to run leads between the switch box and the fan, but depending on how the room is wired, they may already be there.

For more information on ceiling fan wiring:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-wiring.php

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.