• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jashua

I installed a new ceiling fan and it seems to be working well, but it has one problem. The fan has a light kit, and it is installed as well, and running on the same switch as the fan. When you turn the lights off using the pull chain, and leave the fan on, the fan slows down to a slower-than-low speed. When you turn the light back on using the pull chain, the fan speeds back up to its normal speed. All the fan speeds run about the same speed with the light off. The circuit is on two switches, one is a normal cheapy switch, the other is a dimmer that was on the chandelier I replaced. I can try replacing the dimmer but I am very skeptical that it is the problem. The whole unit works fine as long as the light is on, when it is shut off, the fan acts as if there is a draw on current somewhere, that is slowing it down. It also begins humming. Please help!

tom

You have a grounding problem. I can’t troubleshoot it over the internet,but carefully go back over how you wired the thing up.

Draw it out on paper and make sure they’re both in parallel.

shane

It seems like the dimmer switch is turned all the way down this is why the fan slows down. You may want to try turning it up… also is the “cheapy switch a three way switch?

t.b.

The dimmer switch is driving your fan motor nuts. Fans don’t like ordinary dimmers.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.