• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      steve

I have looked at numerous websites about ceiling fans. They all say that cheap fans are noisy, but no one has anything on maintainence. Does anone know that if a fan suddenly becomes very noisy, should I oil it or is there nothing I can do to fix the noise, junk it and buy a new one?

Thanks for any help.

steve

Mike

Steve, it all depends what the noise is or where its coming from. As far as maintenence, the only maintenece you need is a little dusting on top of the fan blades. Thats it. If it sounds like its rubbing against something, you need to take it down and find out what its hitting. If its a humming noise I personally would get rid of it.

Cheap fans most likely but not always mean noisy. I purchased a fan from wallmart for $20 no name brand..installed it and it hummed more then the church quire, I returned it and went to home depot and bought a Hampton Bay fan for $35..Unbelievably quiet!

Hope that helps.

Mike

No fans on the market today that I know of require maintenence. I’ve had 2 up for 10 years and its still silent and needed no attention. If you have a fan that does require it, I suggest getting rid of it unless its an antique..Then keep it.

It’s the new millenium.

carl

loose screws in the blade mounting can allow the bracket to rub against the housing, giving a noise. check for excess up-down motion on the blades.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.