Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum ceiling fan install w/o current light fixture

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Ray

Help! I need help in wiring my ceiling fan in my bedroom. I have an accessible attic. There’s a light source on one side of the bedroom with a wall switch. How can i tap into this power source and create another switch for the fan and the light kit. Any help and advise would be most appreciated.

TomR

Ray:

I just finished installing 3 fans, and I used wireless kits in all 3. And none of my rooms had any ceiling fixtures to start. These kits, available at the popular home stores, install easily, and make wiring of the fan simple.

All you need to do is find a suitable power source in the attic, and run appropriate wiring to your ceiling box (rated for a ceiling fan, of course). The wireless kit allows you to mount a control anywhere in the room, so you do not have to deal with all the hassles of running 120v wiring for extra switches.

Check it out. The kits were about $35.00.

Robert Wallace

I’ve installed several lights and ceilings without existing power in rental properties as well as my existing house. What helped me is obtaining books on residential wiring and DIY (do-it-yourself) books. “It makes good bed time reading”. Anyway, first locate where you want to install your switch, probably near the door entry or perhaps gang it with an existing switch (sw.) making a double sw. location. You will have to tap into an existing power source near this location for a new sw. or into the adjacent sw. if you gang it making a double sw. location. If you use a new sw. this source should be nearest to the chosen switch location. Locate where you want to install the ceiling fan and cut your hole the size of your new mounting bracket (bracket must be made for ceiling fans!!) You will have to bore a hole from the attic through the top place just above the switch location and run your wire, typically #14/2, from the ceiling opening thru this hole and thru the wall down to the switch location and another wire from the switch location to the power source (outlet)if using a new sw. location. As for your wiring connections again, consult an electrical wiring or a DIY book on how to tap into an existing power source and add a light controlled by a switch. This is a good project and once you’ve done it the first time the other rooms are a breeze. Wish you well and God Bless!!!

ray

thank you robert wallace and tom r for your inputs.
      now i have a choice in how i’m going to do it.

Calvin Williams

I need some information on wiring a room for a ceiling fan. I will have to run a wire from a switch, the attic is accessible.

Deno Capello

I would like to install a ceiling fan in my daughter’s house and was told that I would need to install a part that would make the box hold the weight of thefan. When she had the house built, she paid the contractor to have this item installed. The cost was pretty high so she just had it done in two areas. Can you tell me what I need to buy and how to install it?

Deno Capello

I would like to install a ceiling fan in my daughter’s house and was told that I would need to install a part that would make the box hold the weight of the fan. When she had the house built, she paid the contractor to have this item installed. The cost was pretty high so she just had it done in two areas. Can you tell me what I need to buy and how to install it?

Burkley

I am trying to install a ceiling fan in my master bedroom. No electrical box is exsisting and I want to wire it to a switch. What is the easiest way to do this? Cut the drywall?

fawale

I need to install a new ceiling fan and light kit. My problem is that only 2 wires are coming out of the wall. Presumbably black and white. The kit that I have has a blue, black and white wires. What goes where? I also have a green (ground wire attached to the plate of the new kit. Where does the groung wire goe. I will like to turn on the lght from the switch and use the pull chain on the fan for the fan. Please help.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.