Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Can ceramic tile be laid over ceramic tile?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sixsticks
      Participant

Hi~
      We just built a new house with 18×18 porcelain ceramic tiles on the main level of the house.
      The builder’s flooring contractor laid 2 different colored tiles and it now must be redone. I know what it’s like to remove a tile floor (NIGHTMARE OF A MESS) and they are insisting on laying the new tile over the new existing tile.
      I had never heard of the possibility of doing this until I started researching it.
      While I have read it can be done, somehow I don’t feel good about it. My obvious concern is how well it will bond and stay bonded.
      Anyone have any good info for me on this?
      Your help is appreciated!

tenpin
      Participant

Laid a new bathroom floor over old one about ten years ago and have never had a problem,

Giddaymate
      Participant

Hi Sixsticks,
      I have also tiled over old tiles and it turned out great. The main thing is the correct adhesive for tiling over a smooth surface. A good friend of mine is a professional tiler he told me it would be fine to tile over tiles, both floor and walls. He said that’s what a lot of professional tilers do.

If the doors in your new home have already been hung you will most likely have to have some timber shaved off them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.