• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rick in Ne

I just built a 50′ x 100′ metal building. I plan on using 60′ of this bldg for and metal fab/auto repair shop. I plan to use the other 40′ for a wood shop. I have a lot of equip to place in the shop (ie wire welders, metal and wood lathes, planers, jointers, autolifts, sand blaster, forge,metal and wood bandsaws, table saws drill presses, presses, etc.). I just acquired 24 240V 400W Metal Halide lights to install in the shop. I dont plan on running a business out of the shop. Its just going to be a place where I can work on all my projects when I retire in 3 yr. Its located in the country. I want to buy wire to run the electricity. Obviously I will be running both 120 and 220 circuits. Can you explain what the code (like THHN and AWG etc.) means and tell me what I should try to find. Any electricians I talk to say dont worry about it they will get the wire for me. They also indicate that it may cost me as much as $20K to wire my shop. I think I can save substantial $s if I just know what kind of wire to buy and wire it myself. I figure on using #8 or #10 stranded wire for 22O circuits and #12 solid copper for 12O circuits. I think I will have runs as long as 120 ft from the circuit box (200A 40 space Square D box)which will be located on one side of the bldg about 40′ from the end. What kind of wire and conduit do you recommnend? and is conduit necessary?.

——————————————————————————–

Joe Tedesco

Rick in NE:

I am not sure that what you propose is considered as being an acceptable method, and suggest that you take a look at the following link on the ECN board.

You really need to defend yourself!

I am sure that the replies you will receive there will be interesting.

You may also want to post the message here in the Electrical Installations BB. If you do please separate the sentences, it makes for better reading.

[url]http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001772.html[/url]

guardian angel

Rick, by the questions you are asking it appears as though you may not have the experience to take on a job like this. The reason it is a $20K job is because it is a big job that requires skill, and knowledge that only proper training can provide. Why compromise your shop or safety.

sparky

Rick,

one can appreciate that you’d like to be interactice with your project. As a contractor i do get much of this, so let me give you a contractors point of view.

First & foremost, the shop must be laid out as to what electrical loads are going to exist and where, then pipe/wire/breaker sizes will follow

Second, a ‘commercial garage’, in art 511 of the National Electrical Code dictates specific area’s of hazard, which must be considered when installing any circuitry.

Third, there may be an inspector to hold the job to these standards, so it is imperative to plan it well. There has been many a job that has not passed, where doing it twice has simply compounded costs. There is also the issue of liability for you as an owner of a commercial garage serving, or employing, others.

Lastly, should you wish to participate, i would ask a contractor to do so as a helper here. You can detail you wishes, and then be the ‘follower’ or ‘gopher’ if you want. I’ve personally arranged many such senario’s with good results.

Bill OH

Sounds like a big job if the contractor is talking $20K, maybe too big for you to do correctly yourself. Perhaps you can get someone to draw up the requirements for all the equipment, wire, boxes runs, etc. and you can install what you can over a period of time yourself with inspection from a contractor. The equipment alone might run you half of the estimate.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.