Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-stacy

Part of the upstairs adjacent to a bedroom is unfinished attic space in our expanded ranch home (entrance from back of bedroom closet is to the attic space). It is not vented (which I think would benefit from a thermostat controlled attic fan)> What is odd is that there is fiberglass insulation up the walls and the inside surface of the roof. Since it is flat up against the roof, Someone suggested that we take down the indulation in the roof area and only leave in the walls. Signs of mildew are present under the insulation in the roof area. Told to spray with mixture of bleach and water after removing roof insulation.

Should we remove the insulation from the roof surface, or will this just make matters worse? I imagine the prior owners put it there for some reason. What about the bedroom adjacent to this space? If we take down the insulation, will it improve or worsen the conditions for this room in the hot or cold months?

MIGBOY
      Participant

I can’t quite picture what this space looks like, but you certainly don’t want insulation in direct contact with the roof. It may invalidate your roof shingle warranty among other things.

I would insulate all the walls connecting this attic space to the adjacent room(s) and you should be OK. Is there living space below this attic room? May want to insulate the floor of it as well. All insulation should have a proper vapor barrier facing the living side of the wall/floors.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the existing mildew unless its really bad. It will stop growing once you take care of the moisture issues with proper insulation.

homebild
      Participant

Your attic is correctly insulated.

What you have is a typical ‘cape cod’ type room where there is insulation on the floor behind the knee walls, insulation up the knee walls, then insulation in the rafter from the knee walls to the ridge.

The only thing that is missing is proper ventilation and this should be done passively without the use of a powered vent.

You need to install vents in your eaves and vents in the attic area where the rafter meet or in the roof ridge.

You also need continuous rafter vents from the top of the knee wall to the ridge to prevent condensation.

But that’s pretty much it.

Slight mildew problems don’t even need to be treated. Once they are robbed of moisture, the mildew will cease to grow.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.