• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      T.B.

I’ve looked and looked and all I see is generic descriptions and tips. I have seen no specific how-to information at all.

I came to this site looking for information on how to install a phone jack. All I saw were questions, and then I saw some articles with such titles as “Structured Wiring Primer” that talk about the type of wires available and some companies who install them, but NO HOW TO.

What is this? Are there any actual answers here?

doug seibert

Well you’ll find the info you want at this web site:

http://www.homephonewiring.com/

Jay J -Moderator

Hi T.B.,

Very rarely, are you going to see step-by-step instructions on how to do ‘things’, here on this forum.

1) We’re not at your house and we can’t see what you see. There are WAY too many ‘variables’ to account for from ‘our’ perspecitve. 2) Just count the number of Posts there are in a day, every day. (My fingers are hurting too!) 3) The Replies you read here are by folks that work real jobs too. (They post Replies on this Forum, for FREE.) 4) The Replies, here, are meant to at best point you in the right direction.

I will say this – Professional advice that is very specific to a Poster’s situation costs good $$$. In other words, you’d have to hire a Pro to get the info you want! OR, you can take your chances here or spend a few $$$ (which is less than the price of a Pro) and buy a good book. OR, you can surf the WEB for more specific info. Consider spending some of the $$$ you would have spent on a Pro and buying a good book. The library is an option too.

In short, if you think you’re going to get the answers by just sitting down in front of a computer, you’re better off going fishing. The odds of catching a fish (while sitting) are better than waiting for exactly what you want from the Forum. From where I’m sitting, you need to do more leg work. (Buy a book, hire a pro, surf the WEB, etc., etc., to get your answer.)

Maybe one of the Follow-uppers out here will stop by and just do the job for ya. A case or 2 of good beer goes a long way. Good luck!

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: God Bless America!

Henry in MI

T. B., there are not. The people that post here do it because we enjoy being able to help people. In many cases, there are just too many possibilities to cover them all. We do assume that you do have some background. We don’t know whether the block the the phone companies wires inside your house are in the basement or somewhere else. I know that I would kind of assume that you did and so I would start to answer your question by trying to find out if you had 4 solid copper wires, flat stranded cable, Cat 5 or something else. Sorry, we just have computers not crystal balls.

Since you probably have either the flat cable or round wire, I would suggest that you buy the same kind of wire, enough to go to where you want to mount the jack. Sorry, again. I don’t know how far this is. I don’t even know what floor you want the jack to be on the first or second floor, or how large your house is. This makes it hard to tell you exactly how or where to run the wire.

At this point, I think that I should make the same comment that I made a few times when CB radio was popular. I don’t know where I am, I don’t know where I been, and I don’t know where I’m going–but I’m making good time. Can you dig it? I’d like to help you more, but I can’t tell you much more exactly. There is some info on this in the searchable notes on this site.

Good luck.

Henry in MI

Jason

Greetings T.B.,

If you ask the right question, you might get the right answer.

Like the rest of the posters stated, there are no crystal balls here. Often the people that ask for help know exactly what information they want but, fail to express it in terms that can be translated to get the problem resolved.

Examples of this are:

“How do you build a rabbit hutch?”

“What color should I paint my kitchen?”

“How much backfill do I need?”

And many others like that.

This site is a TOOL much like a hammer, you have to use a little effort to make it work.

You should do a site search to see if this question has been answerd before or go to the sites that have been given to you.

Now, that was an answer!

Good luck,

Jason

Scott

…..never mind.Luck

Moderator, Steve

but I though everyone else did a good job relaying our position. I think he wanted some one to drop everything, catch a plane and come do it for him/her.

First one like this ever.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.