• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed F

Well, not really ‘plastic’, but Cast Polymer (also called faux marble – the stuff many bathroom countertops are made of).

This stuff can be purchased as sheet goods (like for a shower/tub surround). During the install process, I managed to crack one of the sheets. At $200-$300 per sheet, I don’t want to replace the whole thing, I’d just like to cover/seal the crack in a way that it blends – I know it won’t be perfect.

The 2 pieces have been fastened to the wall, lining-up the crack as good as possible. I’ve thought about using a 2-part epoxy, then letting it harden and polish it out. I’d hate to have to use something like a router to cut a groove, seeing that the crack isn’t a perfectly straight-line, and is approx 24″ long.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Wick

Hi EdF, funny that this came up now. We’ve been busy the last couple of weeks installing Corean (sp?) window sills in a new office building, and had to deal with some cracks as the stuff doesn’t bend very well at all. Luckily the supplier sent along a bonding kit that matched the material. I’d suggest looking up the manufacturer (either on the web or telephone) and surely they offer some kind of bonding kit (might not be cheap, but probably cheaper than a new piece). The corean we had to bond blended very well with the supplied kit and you couldn’t tell there was a seam without looking very close.

Good luck,
      Wick!

nancy

Is it possible to bleach out corean countertops that have yellowed?

Unregistered-Frank Parish

In your particular situation (irregular crack on wall) you might like to consider the following.
      I used to be a boat builder. One thing an old builder told me has stuck with me through the years. If the break is obvious and the repair options are chancy, lood at the possibility of simply covering up the whole thing with a decorative item. Maybe the item could be far removed from the material it is covering, i.e. if the material is blue, cut a nice teak or mahogony board, mold the edges with a Roman Ogee, or some other such fancy edge, and mount it over the fault.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.