Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum A/C compressor died – 18 years old – repair or replace? Lennox – good or bad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin

Hi,

On July 4th, when it was 95+ degrees out, my Lennox central A/C died.

I had somebody come out and tell me that, considering the system is 18 years old, it would be best to replace the system instead of just replacing the compressor.

I’ve had two contractors tell me that Lennox is %!@%!, yet I’ve read some archived messages here where people refer to Lennox as “the Cadillac of the industry”.

1.) Should I replace the whole A/C system or just the compressor?

2.) How’s the quality of Lennox? Neither contractor I’ve dealt with carries Lennox, but I’m just curious to see if they’re simply trying to scare me into replacing the whole system.

Thanks,

Kevin

Harold hydronicnetwork.net

I was a Lennox dealer, installer and repairman about the time that unit was installed and the units then were made with heavy duty copper. I repaired and even installed used refurbished units. Giving that the rest of the unit is in good condition, replacing the compressor can renew the usefulness of the system. It is unlikely new units will be built with the equivalent; although a new unit brings a new warrantee and can be insured for further service.

tinmantom

Any installer that tells you that a particular brand in ### is just trying to sell you a whole new unit. I have sold primarily Lennox for years and have found relatively few problems. Nobody good badmouths a whole brand. You could have a badly installed Lennox perform as well as a properly installed luxaire. Do you trust the tech that told you Lennox was sh#t. From my experience lennox is in the top three along with trane and carrier. Please write back and tell us what brand he is shilling. I was always taught not to dump on other units just because their sticker is different than mine.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.