• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott McNamara

I currently a have contract for a new home that has had Hardy Plank installed on it. I’m very concerned with the gaps between the overlapping boards.The installer used a blind nailing technique. The plank was installed over a 1/2 foam insulation,and not being famaliar with this product, I’m worried about my potiential electric bills.

Scott McNamara

Steve:

Your decision on James Hardi Plank is a good one. The installation should begin at the bottom and work up with an overhang over the bottom course. the gap should be very small if at all because the plank is about 1/4 inch. This means that the upper course is applied at a slight angle due to resting on the lower course and being nailed or screwed to the house walls. So, at one point the two pieces meet and have a tight seal.

If the gap is more than this, I would stop work and seek a professional person in this field and ask questions.

Not seeing the work, I am just speculating.

Bill Gray

Scott, I had Hardi-Plank installed on my new house as well. I had many concerns, particularly the straightness of it on long walls. Also had a concern because initially they had not done much blind nailing. Please visit James Hardy’s web site. It has a lot of good information. They also have field reps who will come out and evaluate your situation if you push the builder to do so, which I did. He will tell you if you have any really valid concerns. Hope this helps you some. Bill Gray

chinh tran

How to install plank board ?

where to buy them?

what kind of material it made out of?

thanks

chinh

Leonard Cernuch

My neighbor asked me to install several electrical outlet boxes on the outside walls for Christmas lights etc.

Are there any special requirements for screw mounting the recepticles ??

can I drive nails or use screws just as I would if I were attaching the boxes to a wooden surface?

Thanks,

Leonard

Gordon Gray

Does Hardy Plank come in a vertical siding configuration?

patrick duplantis

can hardi-plank be overlapped over existing siding such as masonite siding? thanks pat

Barry L. Ybarra

I am currently looking to buy a house that will have vinyl siding on it. Is it better to have Hardy Plank siding? Is the cost of Hardy Plank similar to that of vinyl? Is it worth paying the extra cost (if any) for Hardy Plank?

Any help with my dilemma would be greatly appricated!!

Thanks,

BJ

tim wallace

I JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE AND IT HAS T1-11 SIDING. THERE ARE SEVERAL SHEETS THAT NEED TO BE REPLACED,CAN I TEAR OFF ALL THE SIDING AND JUST REPLACE IT WITH 7 1/4×12 HARDY PLANK OR REPLACE THE WOOD AND THEN USE THE PLANKS?

Tom Tomes

Can Hardy Plank be installed over existing siding?

My existing siding consists of 3/4″ boards that are flush mounted.

Joe Black

I plan to build a lake shore house. The developer will not as yet allow Hardy Plank to be used for siding because it has to be painted. Does anyone know of a source of this material that is impregnated in a cedar color?

Tim Lovett

I am wondering if anyone has had trouble with hardy plank because it only comes in 1/2 inch thick, when the trim comes at a 5/8 inch thick. This will leave a space between the two. Does anyone know what the solution to this is?

Thanks

fran

Can this siding be installed over existing Cladwood? What, if anything, can be done to make the ends that come together look better?

SARA ALDAPE

QUESTION: CAN I PUT HARDY PLANK ON A HOUSE WITH PIERS OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE ON FOUNDATION?

Al Moll

Should Hardy Plank siding be primed before it is painted, or can a good quality acrylic latex paint be used without a primer?

Carmen Butts

Does Hardy Plank come in dutch lap style?

Jim Panos

I live on a golf course and my home is brick and vinyl.The vinyl upper portion, gets hammered by stray golf balls which in turn split, break or dent the vinyl.

Is Hardi plank vunerable to damage from golf balls?

Mark

I understand from the installation instructions at the James Hardie web site that one can install HardiePlanks over cement block walls using 2″ x 2″ furring strips. This will, however, leave a 2″ gap between the inside of the planks and the wall. Additionally, a 2″ gap will be at the bottom starter strip. Does anyone know of a technique/product to fill this gap with? Also, how do the window openings get enlarged to accomadate the 2″ added using the strips?

Thanks,

Mark

Rob Berryman

I am having an entertainment center, poker table, and a bar fabricated out of aluminum tubing.The tops are going to be blue pearl granite.A solid granit top is not cost effective, so I am putting 12″ tile down.It was recomended I use hardy board instead of plywood becuase of moisture.What do I glue the granite with? How do I cut the hardi board?

Unregistered-gbledsoe

installation

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.