Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum 100yr old painted cedar shingles – strip or replace

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      bmwr69s
      Participant

I have 100yr old painted cedar shingles on home in Pittsburgh. Paint/Stain still holding, but builtup and want a new color. Question are:

1. What is best way to strip the paint? Removall, heatgun/torch, Speedheater 1100?

2. Can I just powerwash and paint over approx. 3 layers of paint?

3. Are shingles too old to hold paint, and I am better off removing, insulating house, reshingling, and staining/painting new shingles?

Thanks Joe

tomh
      Participant

Of the options you listed, I suggest powerwashing and brushing with a wire brush. Unless the paint is severely chipped it should be fine. Be aware old coatings are likely to include lead paint. Heat stripping may be hazardous. Also be sure to collect paint chips and dispose of properly.

To recoat, I recommend a stain sealing 100% acrylic primer (pretint) followed by 100% acrylic finish coat from a reputable manufacturer. This will avoid bleed-through, provide a good tack and will provide a flexible paint that will resist chipping or delamination from temperature changes. A professional paint store can provide more information and suggestions.

This is not the best time of year to be starting an exterior painting project in Pittsburgh…. Yens got too much chance of missing a stillers game! (Just bein nebby)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.