I don’t know if it’s what your friend was suggesting, but there has been a screw in adapter to convert a socket into a pullchain socket with 2 outlets for years. You can usually find them in the grocery store, etc.

Also there is a screw in adapter that can be used with a wireless wall switch to control the bulb if I am not mistaken.